The Data Exchange Podcast: Assaf Araki and Ben Lorica on why metadata will be the foundation for data governance solutions, data catalogs, and other enterprise data systems.
Subscribe: Apple • Android • Spotify • Stitcher • Google • RSS.
In this episode of the Data Exchange, our special correspondent and managing editor Jenn Webb organized a mini-panel composed of myself and Assaf Araki, investment manager at Intel Capital. Assaf and I have written a series of articles (see related content section below) and this interview took place shortly before the release of our most recent collaboration: The Growing Importance of Metadata Management Systems. We devote this episode to how metadata management will impact many enterprise data systems.
Among the things we highlighted in our recent “2021 Trends Report: Data, Machine Learning, and AI” was the emergence of metadata management systems. In this episode we discussed why we believe metadata will be the foundation for data governance solutions, data catalogs, data lineage, data quality, and many other enterprise data applications.
In our post, we sketched out an architecture that placed metadata at the foundation of many enterprise data systems. As Assaf predicts:
- ❛ Eventually every company will use this sort of architecture. Some companies will start using it because of governance, others will start using it in order to accelerate the pace of data consumers: making sure they’re accessing the right data, and are able to build data products faster. … So the reason to adopt this architecture will be different for different companies.
But in the end, this is like asking “Who will use data warehouses?” Everybody! And everyone who uses data warehouses and data systems will eventually need a metadata system, so they can lay out the map of data in their organization, govern the data, and make it more accessible to the entire workforce.
Subscribe to our Newsletter:
We also publish a popular newsletter where we share highlights from recent episodes, trends in AI / machine learning / data, and a collection of recommendations.
Related content and resources:
- A video version of this conversation is available on our YouTube channel.
- Assaf Araki and Ben Lorica: The Growing Importance of Metadata Management Systems
- Assaf Araki and Ben Lorica: AI and Automation meet BI
- Assaf Araki and Ben Lorica: Demystifying AI Infrastructure
- Assaf Araki and Ben Lorica: Software 2.0 takes shape
- Sonal Goyal and Ben Lorica in conversation with Jenn Webb: “Creating Master Data at Scale with AI”
- Jesse Anderson and Ben Lorica in conversation with Jenn Webb: “A Unified Management Model for Successful Data-Focused Teams”
[Photo by Brigitta Schneiter on Unsplash.]