The Data Exchange Podcast: Paco Nathan, Jenn Webb, and Ben Lorica on Ray as a framework for building frameworks, and the past, present, and future of the Data Exchange Podcast.
In this episode of the Data Exchange, our special correspondent and editor Jenn Webb organized a mini-panel composed of myself and Paco Nathan, author, teacher, and founder of Derwen.ai, a boutique consulting firm specializing in Data, machine learning (ML), and AI.
We began by discussing tools for scaling machine learning. Paco and I have been impressed with the growth in the number of libraries being built on top of Ray as well as the variety of use cases that are being addressed by Ray. As I noted in a recent post:
“Ray is both a general-purpose distributed computing platform and a collection of libraries targeted at machine learning and other workloads. Think of Ray as both a general-purpose distributed computing platform and as a collection of libraries targeted at machine learning and other workloads. Unlike monolithic platforms, users of Ray are free to use one or more of the existing libraries, or to use Ray to build their own.”
We then discussed the upcoming Ray Summit, a FREE virtual conference featuring over 50 talks on machine learning, Python, serverless and cloud native technologies.
We also looked back at the first eight months of this podcast (here’s an archive of previous episodes). Both Paco and Jenn were instrumental in getting this podcast started, and I wanted to mark crossing the thirty episode threshold with a short retrospective.
- Ray Summit 2020
- NLP Summit 2020 (Paco Nathan will deliver one of the keynotes)
- Paco Nathan: “Taking stock of foundational tools for analytics and machine learning”
- Arun Verma in conversation with Jenn Webb: “How machine learning is being used in quantitative finance”
- Dafna Shahaf: “Computational humanness, analogy and innovation, and soft concepts”
- Chris Nicholson: “Next-generation simulation software will incorporate deep reinforcement learning”
- Ameet Talwalkar: “Democratizing Machine Learning”
- Denise Gosnell: “How graph technologies are being used to solve complex business problems”
- Two short videos: Ray Community and the Ray Ecosystem and Enterprise Applications of Reinforcement Learning
[Image: Ras Al Khaimah sand dune by Ben Lorica.]