Wendy Foster on data science use cases, Responsible AI, and emerging tools such as large language models and multimodal models.
Subscribe: Apple • Android • Spotify • Stitcher • Google • AntennaPod • RSS.
This week’s guest is Wendy Foster, Director of Engineering & Data Science at Shopify. We discussed applications of data science within Shopify, how they organize their data teams, the lifecycle of a data science project within the company, and how they approach emerging challenges like Responsible AI, large language models, and multimodal models.
Highlights in the video version:
- Introduction to Wendy Foster
Do your data scientists have the right tools to go all the way to production?
What are some data science success stories and its impact on data products?
What are the challenges working with merchants?
Collaborative and Federated Learning
Do you build a fraud detection model, other models, and advanced analytics for your merchants?
Consumer search and recommenders
How would you define data storytelling?
Structured Data, Bar Charts, and Storytelling
Data stories are more impactful when they support decision making
Data storytelling is a presentation model for data to communicate to a non technical audience
Responsible AI, Testing, and Validation
Is Shopify building tools for experimentation?
- A video version of this conversation is available on our YouTube channel.
- Azeem Ahmed: “Data and Machine Learning Platforms at Shopify”
- Solmaz Shahalizadeh: “Business at the speed of AI: Lessons from Shopify”
- Zhe Zhang: “How Technology Companies Are Using Ray”
- “Top Places to Work for Data Scientists”
- “Navigate the road to Responsible AI”