Olivia Liao on blending recommendation and personalization models with human expertise.
Olivia Liao is Senior Director of Data Science at Stitch Fix, a company that uses data science and expert stylists to deliver personalization at scale. We discuss how they blend data science and domain expertise, how they tune recommendations in light of logistics and supply chain constraints, and how they incorporate new developments in large language models, multimodal models and Responsible AI.
Highlights in the video version:
- Introduction to Olivia Liao
Onboarding and Style Recommendation
Data Scientist role
Most challenging models
Role of algorithms and key signals from models
Images and recommendation systems
Role and initiatives around language
Customer feedback for detecting trends
Responsible AI and Model Governance
Models for suppliers
Relationship between Data Scientists and Data Engineers
Why should data scientists work at Stitch Fix?
- A video version of this conversation is available on our YouTube channel.
- Wendy Foster: Data Science at Shopify
- Azeem Ahmed: Data and Machine Learning Platforms at Shopify
- Solmaz Shahalizadeh: Business at the speed of AI: Lessons from Shopify
- Zhe Zhang: How Technology Companies Are Using Ray
- “Top Places to Work for Data Scientists”
- “Navigate the road to Responsible AI”
[Image: Fibonacci’s Mashrabiya by Neri Oxman (photo by B. Lorica, 2022-04-03, SFMOMA)]