Andrew Burt on Lessons from the FTC’s Probe into OpenAI.
Andrew Burt is the Managing Partner at Luminos.Law1, the first law firm focused on helping teams manage the privacy, fairness, security, and transparency of their AI and data — including generative AI systems. This conversation delves into the topic of AI risk mitigation, with a particular focus on generative AI. We explore the state of risk and compliance in light of generative AI. This episode further explores the challenges and risks posed by AI, and the implications of the FTC probe into OpenAI, as well as the NIST AI Risk Management Framework.
- ❛ There’s just no way to prevent bad stuff from happening with Generative AI. So what that means is, rather than prevention, incident response is really important. You want to be able to detect things when they go wrong. And that also means that testing is way, way, way more important with Generative AI systems than it is with traditional AI systems. ❜
– Andrew Burt, Managing Partner at Luminos.Law
Interview highlights – key sections from the video version:
- State of Risk and Compliance in Generative AI
- The Rise of Custom Foundation Models, and FTC’s probe into OpenAII
- The challenge of risk management in light of the fact that Generative AI models have so many possible applications
- AI Incident Response tabletop exercises
- Mind Map from the FTC complaint, and the NIST AI Risk Management Framework
- Rethinking how we structure and manage AI projects
- Concrete steps that AI teams should be taking today
- A video version of this conversation is available on our YouTube channel.
- What We Can Learn from the FTC’s OpenAI Probe
- Alignment in AI: Key to Safe and Beneficial Systems
- Generative AI in Action: How Developers Utilize AI/ML Tools across Tasks
- Gabriela Zanfir-Fortuna and Andrew Burt: Preparing for the Implementation of the EU AI Act and Other AI Regulations
- Brian Raymond: ETL for LLMs
- Jerry Liu: An Open Source Data Framework for LLMs
- Andrew Feldman: The Rise of Custom Foundation Models
- Tim Davis: Redefining AI Infrastructure
- Amin Ahmad: LLMs Are the Key to Unlocking the Next Generation of Search
- Dylan Patel: The Open Source Stack Unleashing a Game-Changing AI Hardware Shift
If you enjoyed this episode, please support our work by encouraging your friends and colleagues to subscribe to our newsletter:
 Ben Lorica is an advisor to Luminos.Law and other startups.