Alex Remedios on Enhancing the NHS Early Warning System and Developing Open-Source Tools for MLOps.
Alex Remedios, founder of Treebeardtech, leads a London-based consulting firm dedicated to assisting machine learning teams in constructing dependable, secure, and adaptable cloud infrastructures crucial for delivering business-critical artificial intelligence solutions. In our conversation, we delve into his pivotal role in introducing Ray to the NHS Early Warning System, an innovative platform developed by Faculty that accurately forecasts daily COVID-19 admissions in the UK. Furthermore, we explore contemporary trends in MLOps and AI infrastructure while shedding light on his open-source endeavor, nbmake – a versatile Pytest plugin designed for testing notebooks.
Interview highlights – key sections from the video version:
- NHS Early Warning System (EWS) created by Faculty.ai
- Improving the EWS infrastucture using a Ray-based compute cluster
- nbmake, a Pytest plugin for testing notebooks
- Injecting software engineering rigor into how we build and deploy machine learning applications
- Building Models Like We Build Open-Source Software
- A video version of this conversation is available on our YouTube channel.
- Building LLM-powered Apps: What You Need to Know
- Gev Sogomonian: AI Metadata
- Raymond Perrault: 2023 AI Index
- Hagay Lupesko: Custom Foundation Models
- Jakub Zavrel: Uncovering and Highlighting AI Trends
- Percy Liang: Evaluating Language Models
- Dylan Patel: The Open Source Stack Unleashing a Game-Changing AI Hardware Shift
- Pablo Villalobos: Exhaustion of High-Quality Data Could Slow Down AI Progress in Coming Decades
If you enjoyed this episode, please support our work by encouraging your friends and colleagues to subscribe to our newsletter:
 Ben Lorica is an advisor to Faculty and other startups.