The Data Exchange Podcast: Edmon Begoli on distributed online learning and its applications in public health.
In this episode of the Data Exchange I speak with Edmon Begoli, Chief Data Architect at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). Edmon has developed and implemented large-scale data applications on systems like Open MPI, Hadoop/MapReduce, Apache Calcite, Apache Spark, and Akka. Most recently he has been building large-scale machine learning and natural language applications with Ray, a distributed execution framework that makes it easy to scale machine learning and Python applications
Our conversation included a range of topics, including:
- Edmon’s role at the ORNL and his experience building applications with Hadoop and Spark.
- What is distributed online learning?
- Why they started using Ray to build distributed online learning applications.
- Two important use cases: suicide prevention among US veterans and infectious disease surveillance.
Subscribe to our Newsletter:
We also publish a popular newsletter where we share highlights from recent episodes, trends in AI / machine learning / data, and a collection of recommendations.
- Dean Wampler: “Scalable Machine Learning, Scalable Python, For Everyone”
- Rajat Monga: “The evolution of TensorFlow and of machine learning infrastructure”
- Morten Dahl: “The state of privacy-preserving machine learning”
- Dafna Shahaf on “Computational humanness, analogy and innovation, and soft concepts”
- Reza Zadeh on “Building large-scale, real-time computer vision applications”
- “Key AI and Data Trends for 2020”
[Image library-university-books-students by Tamás Mészáros.]